How To Measure Yourself For Leather Chaps
"What Size Leather Chaps Do I Wear"? is the most common question people have been asking when wanting to buy motorcycle chaps online. Well, we've been selling leather chaps since 2003, wearing leather chaps since the 1980's, and sizing leather chaps since 2003, so we have a lot of experience and are more than happy to let our online store visitors learn from our vast experience. Be sure to check out our Men's Leather Chaps Department or our Ladies Leather Chaps Department.
Use COUPON CODE: LLCH2020 on anything in our store and SAVE BIG $$$!
How To Size Leather Chaps
- Measure your thigh at the largest part (usually 3-4 inches below where your thigh bends)
- Measure yourself while wearing jeans (or what you would normally wear under your chaps
- Sit down while measuring as our thigh's expand a little bit when we are sitting and after all, you need to be able to sit down on your motorcycle without your chaps choking you.
- Measure BOTH thighs as we are all a little bit lopsided. Use the measurement for the largest thigh.
- If possible, have someone help you measure and measure a couple of times for best accuracy.
- Take the measurement of your largest thigh and add 1-2 inches to it. For example, if your thigh measurement is 24 inches, then you add 1-2 inches to it, that gives you a range of 25 inches to 26 inches. From the size chart for your leather chaps, choose the thigh size for the chaps themselves and that is your chaps size.
- Whether you add 1 or 2 inches to choose your size depends on how you like your chaps to fit. Just like with jeans, some people want tight fitting chaps while other people prefer a little more breathing room, so base your decision on your personal preference.
- Also, you may want to check your waist measurement and the inseam measurement. However, please note that your thigh measurement is the most important as that is not adjustable, but the waist and the length of your chaps are adjustable, so first and most important measurement is always going to be your thigh measurement when it comes to leather chaps.
- Now that you know what size chaps to order based on careful measuring of your thighs, next measure your waist. Most chaps have a built in belt that has a range of waist sizes it fits, for example, let's say the chaps size you need (based on your thigh measurement) has a waist range of 32 -38 inches. If your waist measurement falls into that range, you are good to go. If your waist is smaller than that, you can overlap the grommets and lacing on the back of your chaps to make the waist smaller. If your waist is larger than the range for your size chaps, we also sell Chaps Extenders which will increase the size of the waist range on your chaps.
- Last consideration is your length. Most chaps are 34 inch inseams. If your inseam needs are 34 inches or less, you are good to go. What you will do when you get your chaps and try them on to make sure they fit you at your thigh and waist, if they are too long, you simply cut them with a sharp pair of scissors. Leather does not fray so there is no need to hem them and most bikers do not, however if that is something you want to do, go for it! IMPORTANT! Measure the length while sitting. If you measure the length while standing, then you cut the bottoms of your chaps off, then you sit down on a chair or your motorcycle and realize that your chaps have ridden up and are now shorter than you wanted it's now too late. You cannot return chaps that you have cut off or altered in any way, so just like with cutting wood, measure twice and cut once.
Now that you know what size leather chaps you wear, please feel free to check out our mens leather chaps or womens leather chaps or even kids leather chaps! We have just what you need here at Leather Lollipop!